Me: "One of these days, we will look back on this moment and miss this."
Andy: "Doubt it!"
Audrey sure knows how to test our patience. Today, she refused to put on socks or shoes on the way to church. After a three "pin her down" holds, we got her shoes on only for her to kick and scream them off in the car.
I tried, unsuccessfully, to put the shoes on a 4th time before church, but found myself walking her into church (32 degrees outside) without socks or shoes.
Me: "Fine, you'll walk!" (As I set her down on the cold pavement - only to realize this was probably not my "mom of the year" moment picking her up shortly after)
Stranger: "Ohh, her poor little feet!"
Me: "Yeah, I know" (thinking .. . if you only knew).
I was, however, determined. I marched into the lobby, and tried again to put on the shoes-refusing to let her walk around barefoot. Audrey is now thrashing her head again the window (that pain didn't help) and screaming at the top of her lungs.
Andy (to Alice sitting in church): "Do you hear that crying in the lobby? That's your sister out there screaming."
Alice: "Audrey?"
Oh yes, Audrey. She's quite the stubborn one.
I've forgotten about the terrible 2's. Not that I mind them at home - happy to leave her screaming and kicking on the floor until she settles down, but to the other mom's out there with little ones, how do you handle this in public?
I keep thinking back to the Alan Jackson song, "Remember When" which sings, "Remember when, the sound of little feet was the music we danced to week to week."
I love that song, and nearly tear up every time I hear it. I know I will miss these years, terribly, but for now, I just wish the sound of little feet would include the sound of shoes (in public!)

No comments:
Post a Comment